This week, my colleagues at Harper’s Bazaar charged me with a special request when it came to my Mr. Blasberg’s Best Dressed: Pick the 20 most important moments in Pop culture, and the influence they had on the fashion industry. So, no big deal or anything. After combing through a year’s worth of best dressed lists, blog posts and even a quick trip through my own iPhoto, I did it. For the full list and the explanations for each, you’ll have to check out the Bazaar website. (READ THE ENTIRE LIST WITH EXTENDED CAPTIONS HERE) But here are my top 20 moments, which are, for the record, in no particular order:
1. Madonna at the Super Bowl: The first high fashion moment of the year, when Givenchy and Phillip Treacy collided in a gilded couture explosion. (Read my Super Bowl diary here.)
2. Brad Pitt in the Chanel No. 5 ads: Surprising, a little silly, but ultimately they worked.
3. Carine Roifteld’s smoky eye le Bal in Paris: A party that got so hot someone grabbed a fire extinguisher and sprayed the crowd. (And then got their ass beat.)
4. Adele: Momma cleaned up this year.
5. Designer shuffle: OK, stay with me: Raf Simons took John Galliano’s old job at Dior; Hedi Slimane took Stefani Pilati’s gig at Yves Saint Laurent, which is now known as just Saint Laurent; Nicolas Ghesquiere left Balanciaga, and Alexander Wang is filling in for him; Christopher Kane quit versus and Jonathan Anderson is taking that gig. (For the record, Galliano is still unemployed, Pilati went to Zegna, and we’re waiting to see what Ghesquiere and Kane do with their eponymous brands.) Phew.
6. Men’s fashion weekend in London: The British capital got its own mens fashion week, and I was there, of course.
7. Azealia Banks: This foul mouthed little angel made the rounds this year, but I was there way back in January when she first performed at Karl Lagerfeld’s house. (Watch the video!)
8. Speaking of Karl Lagerfeld: Chanel brought me all over the world this year, from Las Vegas to Versailles to the castle where Mary Queen of Scots was born.
9. John Waters at the CFDA: The world’s driest, funniest, most wonderful independent director made an undeniable impression at this year’s CFDA Awards. I blogged about his greatest quips here.
10. Mario Testino’s opening in Boston: The famed fashion photographer showed Massachusetts what glamour looked like, and he brought some supermodel friends with him. And me too. And I brought my camera.
11. Michael Kors and God’s Love We Deliver: In a very touching moment, the fashion designer gave $5million to the New York based charity .
12. Cara Delevingne: I watched this little girl, who I’ve known for years, turn from goofy to glamorous in 2012, clocking in a Chanel campaign and winning the British Fashion Award for Model of the Year along the way.
13. Louis Vuitton and Yayoi Kusama: The polkadot, my favorite print, reigned supreme in Kusama’s collaboration with the French fashion house.
14. Hurricane Sandy: It was a humbling, heartwarming and hilarious week.
15. Choupette: It was an important year for cat lovers, not only because Karl Lagerfeld got one of his own (who has two maids), but also because I spent a whole day high as a kite on antihistamines to film this video about holiday etiquette with the fury little felines. And watch THE BLOOPERS reel here.
16. HBO’s Girls: I was late on the game on this one, but the genius of Lena Dunham finally captivated me.
17. Rooney Mara: I love a goth girl, and, with the help of Riccardo Tisci, this one had a stand out 2012.
18. Obama back in office: The fashion industry’s favorite Democrat, Barack, is back in office. (Did you read my Christmas card to the president, written on Derek Blasberg for Opening Ceremony stationery? Check it out here, along with a few other fabulous handwritten notes.)
19. Karlie Kloss: My St. Louis sister had a spectacular year, racking up campaigns, bringing back House of Style with my other runway favorite Joan Smalls, starring in that memorable Neiman Marcus x Target campaign, and introducing something as sweet as she is — Karlie’s Kookies!
20. The supermodels at the Olympics: I love anything that puts fashion on center stage, and it was hard to forget the image of the faces of British fashion (Naomi, Kate, Lily, Karen, Jourdan and more) pounding down a stadium runway at the Olympics closing ceremonies in London. I still have it on my Tivo.